Heritage

 

 

 

The History of St Aidan’s Church:

A Chronology

 

 

1876

Sunday School established by members of St Alban’s Church in an empty shop on the corner of what is now Roch Valley Way.

1883

St Alban’s Mission Room built at Howarth Street, Sudden. The building was enlarged in 1911 and was in use as a Sunday School and meeting place for St Aidan’s until demolition for the new motorway link in 1970.

1897

St Aidan’s Mission Church, off Bolton Road Marland designed by Edgar Wood and built by largely voluntary labour as a mission church to All Souls’ Church,  Captain Fold, Heywood. The Mission Church was handed over to the new parish in 1908 and was in use as a Sunday School  until the 1940’s. The building was demolished in 1960.

1906

First movement towards the setting up of a new parish when the Vicars of St. Alban’s, Rochdale, All Souls’, Heywood and St. Martin’s, Castleton, sanctioned the division of their parishes

February 1908

Conventional District of St Aidan, Sudden formed

1910

First design for St Aidan’s Church submitted by TempleMooreto be built on a plot of land on Bolton Road. This plot was found to be unsuitable and the plan was modified.

18th October 1913

St Luke’s Day

Foundation Stone laid by Beatrice, Lady Rochdale

24th March 1915

Consecration of St Aidan’s Church by the Lord Bishop of Manchester, Bishop Knox

Whit Friday 1925

Open air service led from the outside pulpit by Hartley Harrison

1931

Tower completed as a tribute to Hartley Harrison, first Vicar of St Aidan’s

11th May 1946

East Window designed by Harry Grylls and consecrated as a memorial dedicated to members of the Parish who lost their lives in the two world wars

1952

Father Willis Organ installed and dedicated

1971

Church Hall built. Designed by Thomas Worthington & Sons of Manchester. The commemorative stones of the Sudden and Marland Missions are built into the wall of the building.

1984-2008

Rev GC Dobbs, Vicar of St Aidan’s

2010

Completion of major repairs to the church roof facilitated by a Heritage Lottery Grant


St Aidan's Church Vicars
Details of St Aidan's Ministers

Booklet from St Aidan's Consecration 1915
Descriptive Booklet

Heritage Dedication of the Church Organ
Brochure of the Service of Dedication of The Father Willis Organ 23rd Sept 1952

Heritage Weekend Sept 2012
Details about The Heritage Weekend 2012

Laying of the Foundation Stone 100 Yrs
The PowerPoint Presentation Sun 20th Oct 2013

St Aidan's Archives
Images from Archives